Friday, March 14, 2008

People like this should be locked up

I haven't gotten many stupid comments or questions about my pregnancy. The normal ones "How are you feeling" "When are you due" "Are you excited" and before we knew what we were having "Do you want a boy or girl". These questions are just fine - they are normal.

But my stepmom is beyond normal. She asks the dumb questions that you don't know if you should laugh in her face or smack her.

Around December when my dad and stepmom came to our house to visit for Christmas I was just barely 12 weeks pregnant if that. I had barely announced to my family and friends that we were expecting.

The questions she asked AT 12 WEEKS!
"Have you decorated the nursery yet?" Umm... we barely accepted the fact that we were actually going to have a baby. Plus we didn't know what we were having and we still had 6 months to plan and decorate.
"Are you going to wear fat clothes?" First off what type of question is that! And how do you answer that. Yes, eventually I will wear MATERNITY clothes, but they shouldn't be called fat clothes. I was just astounded by her stupid questions.

Yesterday the husband I went to my half sisters Church basketball game. This is the first time I've seen them since Christmas. They don't live very far but from the stupid questions we were asked at Christmas can you see why we avoid them. My dad is great,I really like him... it's his choice in a wife that is questionable.

Before going into the game I stopped at the restroom and my husband went to find us seats. When I sat down the stepmom came over to me and asked: "Where is the baby." I know she knew that we hadn't had the baby yet. She's not that dense. And I knew exactly what she meant. She wanted to see the belly (which I conveniently hid behind my purse) . Playing dumb I looked around, asked the husband if he remembered to bring the Baby, then told her that we must have left him home. She of course moved my purse to see "the bump". I understand she's excited for us. But jeeze does she have to be that annoying! After she sat down in her own seat the husband told me that when he came into the Gym she also asked him 4 or 5 times where the baby was. I told him that he should have said "The dingo ate my baby." Okay lame joke, but we laughed.

I've seriously considered asking her not to come to the hospital when we have our baby.
1) I really don't want her to hold our child. She's not his grandma and never will be (lots of bad blood between us)
2) she says stupid things like this. I'm sure I won't be in the mood for stupid comments in the hospital after giving birth!
But then again she is my dad's wife and I need to respect him for it. I don't want to alienate my dad because I don't want his wife around but it's just SO HARD!

Did anyone else get stupid questions like this or is my stepmom just "special"?

4 comments:

Cupcake Blonde said...

Oh I so wish you said the dingo comment. Although it sound slike she may not have gotten the funny reference.

I think it is perfectly acceptable to not have her there for the delivery. Explain that you only wish your husband, mother or close friend with you because they are your support. A nice way of telling her she is not your support so does not need to be there. That is what I intend on doing....some day.

LoriLoo310 said...

People say some of the dumbest things to pregnant people. Do they not realize that they are walking on thin ice? The one I hated most? "YOU'RE HUGE!" Thanks, that makes me feel really good.

LoriLoo310 said...

You are totally welcome to come watch us go curling tonight! We'll be there from 7:30 to about 9:30. March is the last month they offer lessons in the city until next winter.

Catlin said...

Those are some seriously stupid questions. Why don't you just give her the stink-eye when she says such idiotic things? I'm pretty sure she'll shut up then.