Thursday, February 09, 2006

V-Day Controversy


I started quite a controversy on my Canadian side family website. I had an aunt wish everyone a Happy Valentines Day. I wished one back to her but as a side note I mentioned we don't celebrate Valentines day. It's blown up since that! About 1/2 like Valentines Day and the 1/2 Half doesn't really care for it. It's not like I H.A.T.E Valentines Day, it's just we don't really do much for it. We tried when we first started dating, but when we went out for dinner there was a 2-3 hour wait for every restaurant; so we ended up going to Carl's Jr. instead (which I was fine with). A few days later we officially went to dinner for Valentines Day. Then when we got married we decided against the restaurant dinner and just had a lovely night at home and exchanged presents. But what do you get for each other on Valentines Day? I don't like Chocolates so what do you get? Roses are just too expensive, so I don't even like Roses on Valentines Day. After that we just decided to bag V-day all together. I'm fine with other people celebrating it and expressing their love... blah blah blah, but personally we chose not too.

So it that weird? I'll wish the husband a Happy Valentines day but we do the same thing that we do every day. We'll have dinner at home, watch some TV, if we feel like it we may even watch a movie. But it's really no different then any other day. Maybe because we don't have kids we don't need a "special" break or excuse to go out on a weekday. Or maybe we just don't want to fight the V-day crowd. But all in all I just think it's another day.

If I didn't have to work that would be a special day!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

i'm single...so i hate valentine's...te he he

LITTLE MISS said...

valentine's day has always been a holiday I avoided. I never had a boyfriend, but the rest of my friends did...so I had to avoid EVERYBODY.

Then when I got married, it just seemed like an obligatory holiday to say I love you. I'm cool w/ scratchin' the whole thing and buying all the chocolates 75% off the day after!

LITTLE MISS said...

p.s. Lady Luck, you WOULD love valentine's day! I think they need to change the name of the holiday completely!

Happy Lady Luck Day!

btw, I'm really going to miss puking over your romantic love sick stories...bring back the blog!

; )

hollibobolli said...

I'm with you - I would take a day off work in exchange for all the rest. I'm not a big fan of chocolate.. and I don't really like flowers that will just die in a week. Oh well - I bet I'll be working that day!!

Cupcake Blonde said...

Before I met my husband I called Valentine's Day "Single Awareness Day." I never thought it was appropriate to have a day pointing out the fact that nobody loves you. But once I met my husband I thought it was inappropriate to have a day when you are forced to show how much you love someone. You should be able to do that on any day. So we don't celebrtae either and I get the smae response. People are so SHOCKED I don't like Valentine's Day, especially since I have a such a loving great guy. But I just tell them that I love him every day and don't need Hallmark to show him how much.